Sunday, April 13, 2008

Master bedroom




I can't believe Chris actually let me paint our bedroom black! I used a high gloss black paint and I'm so in love with it! It's not too dark in there because with the white unlined curtains and wood blinds, the windows glow and the paint reflects the light from the lamps. Then we found this fabulous chandelier from an antique store in clinton. It has five arms and all of its crystals are there too. We added the black shades after we had it installed.
I ordered black and white ticking fabric and made a duvet. I plan on making shams and pillow cases out of whatever fabric I decide on using for the cornice boards/ valances. Yeah, that's million dollar question right now. We can't agree on a fabric to use. I thought using a faux leather embossed with something like ostrich and maybe tufting it but Chris vetoed that idea. I've been all over the internet looking for fabric that's not something I've seen a thousand times like damask. I want to do a padded cornice that goes all the way up to the ceiling and possibly a scalloped bottom edge to mimic the mirror on the wall with maybe a 6 or 7 inch return. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The white lamp with black shade was a thrift store find. It started out brass without a shade and Chris spray painted it white and I found the shade at Target. It looks so good, I love how it turned out. The other lamp is a Robert Abbey but I'm not too crazy about the shade.
The table that the white lamp sits on was another fabulous find courtesy of my husband. It's a Drexel Heritage nightstand that he found at Granny's Attic. In fact, they have the dresser that goes with it that we're debating whether or not to purchase. And if anyone buys that I will probably seek out to cut you!
The mirror to the right of the bed was found at the same antique store as the chandelier. It probably weighs 20 pounds.
I will be updating pictures since the bedroom is far from finished.

7 comments:

Lori said...

you have great style! I love the black room.

Phoebe said...

(Linked here from Craftster.) I've always hated dark paint in rooms, but I love this. I think it's the glossy finish that makes it not seem oppressive. Also, your accents are fabulous. I hate people that come across all these awesome finds in thrift stores. Personally, I think the ostrich sounds phenomenal. After the bedroom turned out so great, you'd think your husband would learn to succumb to your taste. Love the kitchen, too. Were we separated at birth?

Knitting is a wonderful thing! said...

Your bedroom is just gorgeous & chic!! I never thought black walls would look that good. It actually looks relaxing and calming. Hmmm...who woulda thunk? I linked over from Crafster and just had to comment. I just LOVE, LOVE your chandalier. I so want to put one in my bedroom too. It definitely has class.

Chelsea Van Tol said...

ok, wow! I would have never thought a room with black walls would look good, but it does! And i'm so very jealous of your chandelier find

Unflapable Grace said...

I've just moved into my new home which is about 2,000 square feet more than my previous one - I love the spaciousness but worry it will come across as cold. So I'm thinking about color to help with that. I love black and white together and I've always wanted to paint a room black, I LOVE what you've done with your bedroom! It screams style and chic and WOW! Can you come to california and help me figure out my space?! You are brilliant! Thank you for sharing your pics! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely! I've been wanting to paint my bedroom black and I think I'll tackle that project this weekend now

Nejmah said...

Hi. I been wanting to paint my room
Black and White forever i found your blog and wanted a few ideas seeing how LOVELY your room looks. I would like to know is it a good idea to paint my bedframe Black or just buy a new one?. What paint should i use to give it that glossy look?. I also noticed you have gotten things from thrift stores is this cheaper than buy all new items?. Please help as i am new to trying to redecorate my house please give whatever tips you find useful. Thank You..=]>